British Army WO1 Regimental Sergeant Major Glyn Painter specialises in coaching IronMan (IM) and IM 70.3 athletes with aspirations of reaching the IronMan World Championships in Kona, Hawaii. He brings together the discipline, structure and encouragement from his 30 years in the military with his passion for long-distance triathlon.
Glyn started coaching Sandhurst cadets in 2005 after achieving his British Triathlon Federation (BTF) BTF Level 1 Coaching qualification, which led to coaching roles in the Army Triathlon Association (ATA).
After successfully competing in IronMan and IM 70.3 reaching both World Championships at his first attempt, Glyn continued his coaching studies by achieving BTF Level 2 in 2010.
He continued coaching in the ATA, being elected Army Male Team Captain for three successive years. For five years he was Head Coach for the annual warm-weather ATA training camp in Cyprus.
He found his natural flair in mentoring and developing long-distance triathletes and has already successfully coached three triathletes to IronMan qualification and race day in Kona.
Glyn was appointed as the Army Triathlon Association Head Coach in 2014.
- BTF Level 3 Coach
- IronMan University Certified Coach
- NLP Practitioner and Coach
- Hypnotherapist and 'Create Your Future' Coach
- 2008 IronMan 70.3 UK 2nd in AG, 2nd AG-er overall
- 2008 IronMan 70.3 World Championship
- 2009 IronMan UK 5th in AG
- 2009 IronMan World Championships
- 2012 Abu Dhabi International Triathlon 2nd in AG, 5th overall
- 2012 IronMan Wales 3rd in AG - fastest British AG marathon across all IronMan races in 2012: 02:56:34
- 2013 IronMan 70.3 UK 1st in AG
- 2013 IronMan World Championships
- 2014 IronMan 70.3 UK 3rd in AG
- 2014 IronMan 70.3 European Championships 7th in AG